return to LexJB.com talk.LexJB.com
made obsolete by http://Facebook.com/JBMason

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wedding
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
Here are the styles I think anyone who wants to dance can "fake it 'til they make it" with little or no instruction:
Cha Cha
Foxtrot
Hustle
Merengue
Two Step?
Waltz

I personally also love Rumba, Samba, Tango, West Coast Swing, and Viennese Waltz, and others probably love East Coast Swing way more than I do, but I think the list above will be sufficient.

In keeping with my standard pattern of getting the most results for the least amount of effort, I poked around Google and found these very helpful websites containing big lists of music to use in the reception playlist. Will be grabbing as many of these songs as possible.

http://firstdanceimpressions.com/weddingsongs.htm
http://firstdanceimpressions.com/weddingsongs2.htm

And here is a backup source of excellent song choices:
http://shawntrautman.com/wedding_song_list_page_1.html
http://shawntrautman.com/wedding_song_list_page_2.html
(category list is found here: http://shawntrautman.com/dance_music.html )
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this very helpful post on a different forum and wanted to copy it here for our reference.

http://forum.canucks.com/index.php?showtopic=250986&st=20
Code:

You want wedding DJing advise, then look no further then a guy who's been doing it for a decade now.. ME!

Rule #1- "rock" songs have a very fine line between "dance" and "bar." What I mean is, if it's a great song to sing along to at the bar, it's usually not good for dancing. Examples; ALL Led Zep songs, ALL Rolling Stones songs, 95% of 70's rock (yes I know... hard to believe,) 99% of 90's rock and about 90% 80's rock (almost all of that 90% being the whole "hair metal" or "glam metal.")

Rule #2- early on, stick to the "favorites" that everyone knows. Don't pull out the hip-hop till later. This will keep mom and dad (and their families) dancing while also bringing in some of the younger people (especially the ones that want to have fun.)

Rule #3- just because YOU like a song, doesn't mean everyone will like it.

With that said here's a quick list that'll make you look like a total "star"
Start with a slow "favorite" (Unchained Melody for example.) Then step it up a bit (in order; Brown Eyed Girl, Pretty Woman, Runaround Sue *cue up past the beginning slow part, Old Time Rock and Roll, Twist n Shout and finish with Shout.) From there, you could throw in a slow song (remember that people will want to get a drink... and you WANT them to get a drink so they'll stick around longer.) Coming out of 2 slow songs, do a participation dance (or two if they are classics.) From there move up to a couple "country rock" songs (Fishin in the Dark, Any Man of Mine, Mountain Music) and throw in a curve ball.. Sweet Home Alabama. From there you are going to really start throwing a few curves at them (to keep the younger people happy while also keeping the older crowd going.) After "Sweet Home..." you hit "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" followed by Electric Slide, Cotten Eye Joe (Rednex version,) Footloose and wrap it up with Love Shack. After another couple slow songs, you bring in the disco music (if you've done this correctly... the younger people will he a bit more loaded, the older people will have stuck around and now you'll have BOTH out there!)

So basically think of it like having sex... start out slow, pick it up with each step till you hit "the big payoff" (a HUGE hit song from that era) and then hit a couple slow songs to "cool down" before ramping back up again. But at the same time, try to keep the slow songs to a minimum so as not to make it feel like you're always playing slow songs.

One other trick to keep in mind, NEVER play a slow song at the bottom of the hour or top of the hour. People will look at their watches (if they aren't dancing) and when they see what time it is, they might want to go home.

The last hour is your "grand ending." Cater to who's still there and dancing. Who cares what the guy by the bar wants, he never left the bar all night... so why bother playing what he wants? Instead, play what some one who's been dancing all night wants. Also, no slow songs in the last hour till the very last song of the night. And finally, your last couple fast songs, should be something everyone can dance to (you want to have mom and dad having fun this late as well.)

Last bit of advise... beware of the "should be a great song" type songs. Prime example (and it was already listed,) White Wedding! First off, it was written as an anti-wedding song by Billy Idol (his sister was pregnant and was going to get married to the father of the child,) second off... it's not a real "dancing" type song, it just sounds cool. Your older people won't dance to it, the younger people won't dance to it... who does that leave? Drunk Uncle Frank who asked for it, but won't dare be on that dance floor for the song.

Oh one other last thing... when in doubt, play Michael Jackson! Billie Jean, The Way You Make Me Feel, Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, etc. all of them are very good dance songs that people will always dance to.

Other songs to remember;
Ice Ice Baby
Hey Ya
Play That Funky Music
YMCA
Grease Mega-mix
I will survive
Dancing Queen
Wild Thing
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it would be really amazingly convenient if the reception location had Internet access -- what if someone has a must-have song request that the inexperienced DJ could not possibly have anticipated? Internet would solve that, pronto.

Does the reception location have free wi-fi??
netgeek64

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBMason wrote:
Hey, it would be really amazingly convenient if the reception location had Internet access -- what if someone has a must-have song request that the inexperienced DJ could not possibly have anticipated? Internet would solve that, pronto.

Does the reception location have free wi-fi??

They are at the first of two reunions this weekend. You might have to break down and call. You've seen those gadgets with numbers on them that make similar gadgets buzz or ring funny, haven't you? Maybe someone can show you how it works. Razz

Good luck, by the way. And have lots of fun. And, of course, take tons of pictures (which really goes without saying, doesn't it?)
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Mommy's favorite Bible verse)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
emelle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finished an amazing first reunion and are now BREATHING again because our "agenda" has disappeared, at least for the rest of TODAY. We have the license, so now there's greeting of guests as they arrive, figuring out where to eat the next meal, and then more of the same of that tomorrow in addition to "girly stuff" and "guy stuff" and the big family meal that WOULD follow a rehearsal had there been a rehearsal planned... then the wedding and reception the next day. I STILL do not have the answers you need because I am not driving to any of the events that will be happening during these weekdays because I don't have to. As I have said all along, Daddy is the man with any answers, or at least he's been the most in contact with the woman with the answers, Steve's mom. Even if you were to pick up a telephone RIGHT NOW to call him, tho, you wouldn't reach him. He's on the golf course (of course).

Cheryl, thank you for continuing to follow our progress, even from Alaska. Brett, we'll see you soon!

Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
Dad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My middle daughter is psychic. How could she possibly know I had a great day on the golf course?
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are wondering, I made it home from the NC wedding safely. That's all for now! Gotta give tonight's TV lineup my full attention.
emelle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad you could be there for us, and thanks for posting the end of the ceremony for all the Facebookers out there. I'm glad you made it home - Daddy tells me you two will go adventuring around Kentucky in the coming week, so that should be good.

The wedding was just so lovely, and I'm really enjoying looking at our left hands Wink

Thank you to all who contributed in any way and especially to all who were in attendance!

---Mrs. Nixon

rmgreen15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't that just the best!! (seeing each other's left hands, i mean...) i still get caught off guard when i see my man is married Very Happy

i'm so sorry i couldn't pull off a surprise appearance, but i hope you know i love you, and was thinking about you constantly throughout your big day- was even tempted to call you, but i know how busy you might have been, so i didn't want to push my luck.

i am so incredibly happy for you and my new uncle- big, BIG hugs and much love to you both!!!
emelle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home again, home again, jiggety jig. We're finished with the active "wedding" stuff and getting down to the business of daily married life. We had a wonderful, lovely time in North Carolina, and we're now about 90% settled into our new apartment. Steve's brother sent us a link to the wedding portrait website, and we're taking our time looking through those pics to see how we want to save/share/display them (Steve's FB profile pic has been updated, as you may know). Still hoping to get links from the other parties with digital cameras who were present on the day.

Our little baby spy camera took a few good pics, but we lost everything we took prior to my NCSSM weekend 'cuz the battery died before we could download them anywhere. Oh, well, waddya want for eight bucks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Holla back All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: