return to LexJB.com talk.LexJB.com
made obsolete by http://Facebook.com/JBMason

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ballroom dance music you can sing while practicing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Special board (or blog) for emelle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: ballroom dance music you can sing while practicing Reply with quote

If you're anything like me, and I know you are, then you often find yourself wanting to dance with a nearby hottie, and she hesitates because there is no music playing.

In such cases, do what I do. Sing a familiar song that has a ballroom tempo.

WALTZ
Silent Night
Happy Birthday
Edelweiss
Moon River
Open Arms (by Journey)
Take It to the Limit (by The Eagles)

CHA CHA
Lady Marmalade
Get This Party Started (by Pink)
Smooth (by Santana)
I Need to Know (by Marc Anthony)

HUSTLE
Can't Get You Outta My Head (by Kylie Minogue)
Stayin Alive (Bee Gees)
actually, just about everything can be a hustle

FOXTROT
New York, New York

RUMBA
Yesterday
Cupid
Under the Boardwalk
Brilliant Disguise (by Bruce Springsteen)

SWING
Jump Jive n Wail
boatloads of songs from the fifties
emelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE IT! My difficulty is when the studio is playing a song I know, my following gets sloppy, because I am, of course, singing along. Particularly to your Eagles selection and Lady Marmalade... so far, my partners don't seem to mind.

So thank you for this idea (for when there IS no music playing).

Both of my Basia CD's have great music for rumba/samba/cha cha... I've been working on my lats in my car while listening to Basia (just upper-body dancing side-to-side or figure-eights while holding the steering wheel at 8 & 4). Great workout, and the traffic seems to move better!
Very Happy
netgeek64

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next car will have a CD player. I must be able to listen to Basia. Of course, I can always plug in my mp3 player!

Exercising while driving. That's a great idea!
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Mommy's favorite Bible verse)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
emelle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of ballroom dancing, I made it back to the studio for a practice party tonight and got to dance A LOT. I'm definitely getting better at following, even when I don't know where we're going (it's all about trust)... There were a ton of people there, so I danced twice with all of my regular partners, like Raz and Bobby and John and Leonard and Josh (my instructor). And I encouraged newbies to mix it up so they'd come back to their mates having learned something, rather than struggling along with each other. I've added Samba, Merengue, and Viennese Waltz to my party dances (not really learning anything about them in private or group lessons)... I really need them since I hate Swing so much.

I miss my friend Vik, tho. She had written me a poem that she originally was going to post on the forum but backed out of that and just gave me a copy of it. I'll be calling her tomorrow. I hope she's just been super busy with work and that's why our paths haven't crossed lately. She may be back in grief and need some consoling (or at least human contact). Bobby told me he'd attended a friend's funeral today, and I'd have given him a copy of THE BOOK but I forgot to replace the last copy I'd handed out from my car, so I'll have to do it next time.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
I've added Samba, Merengue, and Viennese Waltz to my party dances (not really learning anything about them in private or group lessons)... I really need them since I hate Swing so much.

Amen, sister. Let me tell you, the thing I hate most about swing dances is that all they ever play are swing-dance songs. I run out of swing-dance patterns very quickly, like within two songs. It's much more fun for me to dance to a variety of songs and styles so that I can do waltz or cha-cha instead of just swing, swing, swing, blah, blah, blah.

http://www.lexjb.com/0/20030617.jpg
emelle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vik, if you're out there and get this before tomorrow (Friday) night's group lesson and practice party, if you don't see me it's because it was my first and only day of work this week, and my call time wasn't until 1:30 (at this writing) so it's very likely I'm not at Arthur Murray because I'm still at work. Please dance a smooth dance with Bobby for me (tell him you're subbing in for me, he'll understand)... and then if the gang goes out to another club afterward, call me and leave me a voicemail so maybe I can meet you.

Cool? Thanks. Cool.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, you can't email Vik? You really think she's gonna read TALK.LEXJB.COM before she reads her own email? How nutty.
emelle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett, quit being a turd. I know Vik reads this... I don't know how frequently, but whatever. I don't have her email address, but I do have her phone number (but it was too late to call last night when this thought occurred to me). Couldn't YOU have emailed her to ask if she has a MySpace page? No, and you didn't even find an appropriate thread on which to ask. You just wanted to know, and you put it out there on whichever thread you were in. I at least related my request to the ballroom dancing topic. So PBTHTHTH Razz
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An extra song for the CHA CHA list:
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Special board (or blog) for emelle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: