return to LexJB.com talk.LexJB.com
made obsolete by http://Facebook.com/JBMason

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grief and Gratefulness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Special board (or blog) for emelle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emelle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was collecting unemployment benefits last year and working so little that I actually ran out of "bank" before I ran out of my year, which meant that as federal extensions came into being I actually qualified for them and could continue collecting benefits at the same rate until the extensions ran out. The only problem is that I DID IN FACT work last year, but just not enough to make this year's claim be anywhere near the same rate. Also, working while technically unemployed means that when your claim year ends, so do any extensions you may have found yourself eligible for.
Here's the gratitude:
  • I had sufficient work in the previous year to have a relatively high weekly benefit
  • the federal government kept approving extensions of benefits for people like me
  • I'm current in my union dues for both actors' unions
  • there is MUCH TALK of merging the two unions so no one has to split their time (and we can all earn and keep our pension and health benefits)
  • lately there is much more work than in recent history, so maybe my new "pittance" benefit won't even matter
  • AND I was able to convert the lease on my car to a loan so my payments are lower and when all is said and done, I won't have to return my wheels to the dealership.
Yay!
Life is good, i'nit? Cool

emelle

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big changes goin' on... HUGE gratitude for family and friends... will fill you in later, but for now, know this:
I am a money magnet, thank you, thank you, thank you
and
I am so happy and grateful for everything in my life right now!

JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, I guess...
emelle

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Need help! Reply with quote

While I am, in fact, always grateful for the blessings in my life, I need to continually recognize that there is help out there for me when I need it, too (and for that, I am also grateful). So here's my sitch:
Last month, we had a houseguest from England, who we met when she arrived on our doorstep, although we had agreed to take her in by way of my connection with a connection she'd made through the monster, FB. She's 24 and essentially doing the Hollywood thing the way Brett always did France. By the end of the month, I realized I'd probably been expressing my mothering-instinct-repression through grinding my teeth at night, since the last week she was here, I experienced amazing jaw pain/tension/what-have-you. After she was safely on her way, the tension subsided, mostly. However, the pain returned, localized in my upper left 12-yr molar. I have since seen a dentist, who has confirmed that I have cracked that tooth; the extent of the damage won't be assessed until we begin to crown it.
Here's the thing for which I'm having difficulty with gratitude:
Last year was a totally crap year for my line of work. I was collecting substantial unemployment, and working a little but not enough to carry me through the whole year, so when the Federal Extensions came through, I was eligible (yes, I AM grateful for that). However, I did NOT work enough SAG days to continue my eligibility for health insurance. I did NOT work enough to continue my unemployment at the same base benefit (that got cut in half). I did NOT work enough to afford the last quarter of my health insurance that I WAS eligible for, nor to pay my SAG dues for this half-year (which will allow me to continue working SAG jobs). So now I'm staring expensive dental work in the face, and if I can somehow pay my insurance premium, I can get the work covered for this quarter, albeit at 50-60%, depending on if I have to extract or crown-and-root canal (yikes)! I'm looking into other areas of this industry that will allow me to work more, and my horror film is FINALLY "out" there - we're self-distributing, so if you'd like to pledge your support, visit our online store and order a buncha stuff! Shop here
In the meantime, can you help me find my gratitude? I do still have faith that all things work for the good (oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my choir director asked me back, so I'm singing at church again), I'm just finding that money issues are causing that faith to waver. Help me bolster my faith, please!

{btw, I am NOT asking for your money here. I'm asking for faith} Very Happy

emelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am officially a Script Supervisor! Yes, folks, I had an opportunity to take a 100-hr course in the ONE crew job that suits my personality absolutely BEST, so now, when I look for work in the entertainment industry (which is ALWAYS), I can look for both sides of the camera. Know anyone about to shoot a low-budget indie flick? I'm sure they'll need a professional Script Supervisor, and more than likely, they'll be looking for someone who's NOT in the IATSE union, so send 'em my way!

Also, back in the day, when I was singing in the choir at my fab little Presbyterian church and feeling a little unwelcome by the pastor and another choir member, I just found my opportunity to make a quiet exit rather than fight a fight I couldn't win. NOW, all these months later, the choir director is PAYING me (a little, out of her own pocket until she can get me in the budget) to sing on Sundays; the old pastor's out and the new pastor is GREAT, and the choir member who was once my nemesis has come to my rescue with the tooth issue! Steve and I now have dental insurance through DeltaCare USA, which is Delta Dental's HMO rather than PPO, and our annual premium has been paid by the deacons at the fab little Presby church! Ain't God Great?

I'm feeling ever so blessed these days, and tomorrow we'll be installing the new pastor, so the choir's doing a really difficult anthem, Alleluia, by Randall Thompson, and I have the soprano part nailed, so I'm PSYCHED! Happy Father's Day, to my Daddy and anyone else who happens to be a father. Count your blessings and join me in posting your gratitude! Whee!!!!

emelle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't exactly say that I feel better, I do feel blessed to now have a mouth housing 27 healthy teeth, instead of 27 healthy plus one broken and infected and pain-making (teeth). It wasn't cheap, even with the dental insurance, but all the bills for this month have been paid so far, and there was room on the credit card to cover the extraction, so now I just need to get back to work to cover the rest of the month's bills. I'm up early enough to attend the CD visitation at Central Casting, and tho my mouth doesn't feel great, it'll do, since I don't have to chew or talk for the next hour while I'm there. And I'll still make it to the Y to swim!

Blessings:
  • pain-free mouth
  • networking opportunities abound
  • entertainment industry coming off hiatus
  • husband who loves me dearly
  • cats who more than tolerate me
  • family just a phone call away
  • great roof over my head
  • enough soft food to keep me fat and happy (well, less fit and not unhappy)
  • the return of traveling family in just another day
  • great friends who will be throwing a bbq for said family this Sunday
  • sufficient funds to cover all our needs

What am I missing? I'm sure I'm even more blessed than that! How about you?

emelle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in DAY 3 of 4 of my FIRST SCRIPT SUPERVISOR gig! Whee! It's an Asian comedy short film with Sundance potential, and the cast and crew are BIG FUN. Our location is nearby, and except for our first day, we're shooting entirely in daylight so I can even ride my bike to and from set! I'm so grateful for all the people who made it possible for me to learn this new skill set, 'cuz I gotta tell ya, even though this particular job is the one crew job most perfectly suited to my personality and talents, it is NOT an easy one, and I never could have done without the education.

On a secondary note, it would appear that God wanted me to get rid of that nasty tooth so I'd have room for the new, way better one He seems to have installed. (It hasn't broken through the gums yet - it's only been 4 weeks since the bad one was pulled - but there is definitely a new tooth trying to come in back there)!

WHEEEEE! Good Times!

emelle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the month of my mother's death.
Times are hard all over.
I start my three-week Scripty gig today AND I get to carpool so I'm not putting all that wear-and-tear on my own car.
Rent was met.

On to bigger and better?

While no longer grieving myself, I am aware of the grief around me, and I am grateful for the blessings in my life.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Special board (or blog) for emelle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: