return to LexJB.com talk.LexJB.com
made obsolete by http://Facebook.com/JBMason

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Food options Reply with quote

The reason I can still fit into clothes that I wore in high school and college is this: portion control. I may not be choosing the most healthy foods, but I certainly don't choose the same humongous meals my peers choose, which explains why I don't balloon up like they do.

So in this topic I will review small-portion choices at different restaurants.

FAZOLI'S = ziti kid's meal, perfect.
WENDY'S = small chili plus extra almonds, mmm
APPLEBEE'S or O'CHARLEY'S = corn dog and broccoli
LONG JOHN SILVER'S = popcorn shrimp kid's meal, substituting corn instead of fries
IHOP = ask for a "Funny Face," and you'll get one chocolate chip pancake

Last edited by JBMason on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
emelle

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a fan of portion control, but there aren't many places in LA that will allow the purchase of simply a kid's meal when there's no visible kid, so I have become a big fan of leftovers. I snack on healthy protein+carb options at craft service if I'm on set all day, so when they serve the big catered meal, I get a rather full to-go container, nibble on it briefly, and then eat the rest at home over the course of one or two or even three separate meals. As we speak, I'm having leftover mahi mahi and collard greens - YUM!

Baskin Robbins will allow me to indulge in a kid's cone, which saves me calories and about $.50 at the same time.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
Baskin Robbins will allow me to indulge in a kid's cone, which saves me calories and about $.50 at the same time.

I used to have a Baskin Robbins in walking distance, but I guess it went out of business because the signage has now changed to say ICE CREAM CLUB. Huh?
emelle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Speaking of ice cream Reply with quote

I don't know if you folks have Cold Stone Creamery, but we do. It's an ice cream chain that has fewer than a dozen flavors in the case, but they whip out your serving and chop it up and mix in fruit or candy bars or whatever you want.

For my birthday, I was given a Starbucks gift card and a Cold Stone Creamery gift card. I got myself a coffee and discovered the opening balance was $20 - sweet! Ran into the guys who gave me the cards, and they assured me the ice cream was just as much - awesome, many thanks...

Went to get ice cream today, and was charged for the mix-in, charged for the sugar cone, and inadvertently charged an extraneous dollar. The opening balance on the gift card showed as $10 rather than 20. The girl tried to add the dollar back to the card but the system wouldn't allow her to, so she had to give me a single.

I was only expecting a $5 or $10 balance on these cards, but I think CSC is trying to rip me and the gift givers off... I can't imagine they'd put 20 in for coffee and only 10 in for ice cream and tell me it's 20...

Is sending a nasty-gram through the CSC website enough, or should I call the 800 number and hound them daily until I get satisfaction?
Wink
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about gift cards is that they're equivalent to cash, so the company can get away with all sorts of crazy evil plots, never needing to fight customers who claim their gift cards (cash) were lost or stolen, and the stockholders rejoice. There are many articles on the web about the enormous profitability of unused gift cards; maybe there are many articles about the ridiculous revenue companies get from half-valued gift cards, too.

Good luck, but you'll never get any satisfaction in any pursuit. If I were you, I'd laugh it off.
emelle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBMason wrote:
If I were you, I'd laugh it off.

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Done. Thanks for the advice.
emelle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBMason wrote:
Good luck, but you'll never get any satisfaction in any pursuit. If I were you, I'd laugh it off.

I took your advice and used the card again today but at a different location. Because my attitude was different, the experience was much better. Thanks for reminding me that all I can control is my own reaction.
emelle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one visit left on my Cold Stone Creamery card. Corporate has forced my good branch to raise their prices and no longer offer the first free mix-in, so once this card is defunct, I will never eat at Cold Stone Creamery again. Their gimmick is the mix in on a cold slab of slate. The ice cream's not that great, and there aren't any options at a reasonable price. So I'm goin' back to Baskin Robbins!

Na-na-na-na-na (segue music)... why are ants attracted to cat food? Rolling Eyes

netgeek64

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
Na-na-na-na-na (segue music)... why are ants attracted to cat food? Rolling Eyes

cause it's yummy?
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Mommy's favorite Bible verse)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rmgreen15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
why are ants attracted to cat food? Rolling Eyes

higher sugar content?
netgeek64

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel,

Where the hell is your avatar? Huh? Come on, already! Get uncle Brett or grandpa to shrink a picture for you. How 'bout my favorite (and grandpa's favorite) that he made hugematic for your graduation (i think it's 300MB), but that he could make smallmatic for your avatar. C'mon. Please?
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Mommy's favorite Bible verse)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
emelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmgreen15 wrote:
higher sugar content?

has to be... but i gotta tell you, it's really pissing me off. poor miles doesn't get to eat because they're completely ignoring the bait i set out for them to take back to their queen, and apparently, there's only so much crunch he can handle in his mouth (or maybe he doesn't like it when the food crawls around in there). so i'm going to have to feed him in stages until i can get rid of them. it sucks.

so i'm sucking up those bastards into my rainbow... drown 'em in a whirlpool so they won't fly back out into my room, 'cuz "wet ants don't fly!"

MaryAnn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: solution Reply with quote

Emelle -- you should put the bowl of food in a pan of water. People used to do the same thing to their bed frame legs so they wouldn't get ants in the bed.

M.A.
emelle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Brilliant! I'm giving it a shot... I'll let you know how it works.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: food discovery Reply with quote

I just got home from Kroger, where I made a major discovery on 07/07/07. Thank you, Kroger, for bringing a tiny bit of meaning to my meaningless life.

Dark Chocolate Peanut M&M's are now available
emelle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to return to the ants on the "Food Options" line, but my comment today refers to food, sort of.

Poor Miles must have been seriously freaked out when I tried to get him to be sick outside rather than on the carpet - he's not an outdoor cat, but I only remember dealing with a sick cat by catching them in the act and running them outside! I think the only reason he's sick (this is the second time in as many days) is because he's been sampling the ant bait, which was quite successful (eventually) in emptying the house of bugs. How do I keep boric acid in the edges of the carpet without attracting Miles? I'm going to vacuum, and I've thrown away the yummy blue peanut butter, but any additional feedback will be appreciated.

circe_pleading

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: ant bait + kitty = vomit! Reply with quote

Catherine Hawkes taught me this, it works for mouse traps as well.

Take a cardboard box, and cut out a small little "door", not much larger than a cat paw.

Place your bait on the floor,

then flip the box upside down over the bait, further than a cat's reach from the door [so the cat doesn't get ant poison or a mouse trap on its paw]

If your cat is the type to scoot a box around the floor, I reccomend wedging it between chairs or other furniture or in a corner.

Also, portion control is how to extend longevity in case studies with rats; they call it calorie reduction though, and claim it cannot be successful in the long term.

Brett may be able to wear clothes from highschool [I can wear clothes from middle school!] because of portion control, but I can do the same because of vegetarian, vegantastic, local, organic, and raw foods.

I'd like to note that because money is green, at most places you can insist on children's sizes; it doesn't matter if you have a kid or not, wanting a smaller portion is your perogative. If they refuse, just be prepared to start to walk out the door; they amazingly suddenly change opinion.

Also, I hates me some Coldstone; it opened downtown, then shut down, but stayed open *just* long enough to close down every other downtown ice cream joint. So now there's no icecream down town, and Coldstone's is 1) expensive 2) not tasty and 3) gimicky! No other icecream joint charges you EXTRA for Rocky Road, my fav flavor. You want strawberry? You want rocky road? Same price. So now I just drive extra far to Bruster's on the far far far East side of town if I needs me some real fat full dairy ice cream.

Has anyone here ever eaten at Maggie Moo's? They did the Coldstone slab thing before anyone else [I had a Maggie Moo's ice cream graduation cake, '02] and they did it with tasty, delicious ice cream.
emelle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boric acid wasn't what was getting to Miles... when I moved, I brought along a portion of the old couch, and he'd managed to scratch his way down to the foam rubber, which was just too tempting for him. I've replaced it with a natural scratching pad that I can tempt him with catnip to... he began by rolling around on it, using it as a pillow or back-scratcher, then moved to protecting it from me (it's MINE!) and eventually figured out its real use. No more foam rubber, no more sick kitty.

I think I have to agree re: Cold Stone. Just not worth the hype. Baskin Robbins is so much simpler and better and cheaper and convenient and doesn't take forever. Only downside is they don't sell gift CARDS, only gift certificates (so the bearer gets cash back on the remainder)... so if I put a scoop on my credit card, I feel silly. But at least that's two airline miles I just earned. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: