return to LexJB.com talk.LexJB.com
made obsolete by http://Facebook.com/JBMason

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using animals
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaryAnn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: interesting Reply with quote

circe_pleading wrote:
I like to believe that the money I pay now for better quality vegetarian foods is the less money I spend later on medical bills when my body becomes decrepit from abuse and lack of wholesome nutrition.

Very smart thinking, Lina! Too bad the moderator of this forum doesn't feel the same way.

Thanks for telling us your observations from the grocery business. That is my experience, also. In fact, meat would be even more expensive if it were not heavily subsidized by the government. I wonder why the government wants people to eat stuff that will give them heart disease and other serious health problems? Oh well, I guess the pharmaceutical companies will take care of us with their amazing drugs.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: interesting Reply with quote

MaryAnn wrote:
Oh well, I guess the pharmaceutical companies will take care of us with their amazing drugs.

This thread will crossover nicely to the Sicko thread in the "reviews" area.
http://talk.lexjb.com/viewforum.php?f=4
Dad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the grammar. My mind sometimes takes the road less traveled

circe_pleading wrote:
Wow...blame the early morning, I suppose. I shudder to see the flailing grandness of that grammar error.

Dad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the Vegan's. I have one friend who is a Vegetarian, and I like her very much. I enjoy the lively response from everyone. Tell you what, next time Brett comes down to Fla, come with him. I have a freezer full of steaks and we can have a southern cookout.
netgeek64

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Using animals Reply with quote

MaryAnn wrote:
using animals -- for food, entertainment, clothing and experimentation? And, I'm curious about your diet choices. Do you have any restrictions or preferences?

And, finally, what is your impression of vegans and veganism?

Food - I like meat, I must admit. I prefer steak when I've been without for a long time, but the main choice is lobster. Of course, lobster is not at all plentiful in Sorrento, so I make do with chicken or hamburgers (or bratwursts)

Entertainment - if done sympathetically, animals are entertaining. My cat entertains me to the nth degree by brushing herself. She also likes to walk all over me and knead me, even when I'm trying to watch a movie.

Clothing - I am uncertain as to how many nylons and polyesters sacrificed their lives to make my clothes. I do know that cottons made a huge commitment, though. I like the feel of microfiber. I don't think any animals had to die for that, although I'm not too certain. I love the smell of leather, but I believe that those animals died because they were committed to giving their lives for that "new car smell".

Experimentation - that's just wrong. Making any animal wear lipstick is just cruel.

As far as my diet - I need to. The only restrictions are due to taste, not morality, although, like my late mother, I have a semi-repulsion to pork products (with the exception of bacon).
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Mommy's favorite Bible verse)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: spider on porch Reply with quote

Rather than create a new topic to show off a spider, I am adding an off-the-subject entry in this "animals" topic.

Here is a spider that appears on my front porch every night to create a web that takes up half the (tiny) porch, and then in the daytime, it is gone without a trace.

the big web

extreme-closeup: actual size = "a little bigger than a dime"

Sometimes I get up in the middle of the night to put a dark-chocolate M&M into the web for its dessert.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am back home after a late lunch at Blimpie's, where I ate a tasty sandwich. While I was there, I noticed in the newspaper that today's Bizarro comic strip was in line with this animal-cruelty topic; now I want to let Mary Ann know, via this forum, that she would enjoy today's Bizarro comic strip.

On the Bizarro site there is a small collection of similar comic strips:
http://www.bizarro.com/vegan/vegan_cartoons.htm

I think Mary Ann would be proud of me for paying attention to this kind of thing. She has raised my awareness, but she hasn't yet altered my diet.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Ann continues to raise my animal-rights awareness. Yesterday she and I watched Year of the Dog, an animal-rights comedy which was occasionally amusing. There are a few scenes in which a guy neighbor is complaining to the main woman about her barking dogs; those were the best scenes for me because I am the guy neighbor who perpetually complains to his woman friend about her barking dogs.

There is a character named Bret in this movie; huh!

emelle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of annoying dogs, did you ever get to see "Keeping Mum"?
emelle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: So, back to using animals... Reply with quote

I've been product-testing on Miles, my cat.
WAIT! Before you get all antsy and mad at me, let me tell you what product I've been testing!
It's... lipstick! No, seriously, it's a comb called "the FURminator", a "deShedding tool for cats (and dogs)". I was being driven crazy by Miles' hair being everywhere, so when I took him to get his nails clipped last time, they recommended this tool to me. I don't really get how it works, because it really just seems like a fine-tooth comb, but somehow... there's only cat hair left on the end of the couch where I comb him. Combined with my new Dyson "animal-strength" vacuum, my home is now NEARLY CAT-HAIR FREE!
Woo Hoo! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
hloaroo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the "FURminator" website and see that they sell those things at PetSmart here in Lexington. I'm going to get one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Holla back All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: