return to LexJB.com talk.LexJB.com
made obsolete by http://Facebook.com/JBMason

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

if you won the lottery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: if you won the lottery Reply with quote

Say you won the state lottery (any state)... and you decided to share, because it's a lot of money, usually. Or if you get to share when someone else wins it. Same diff - you're getting a cut of a large chunk of money.

• How much is too much?
  • What would you do with it, initially?
  • If "money is no object," as they say, what enormous, frivolous thing would you get or do?
  • What philanthropic endeavors would you take?

Suppose your cut is small - only $50,000 per year for 26 years. Would you save it at first so you could pay off debt and taxes? Or would you immediately take a 60-day jaunt around the globe?

I'd love to hear your thoughts... and then in a day or two, when I've had time to think about this too, I'll post my own.

Last edited by emelle on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What if YOU won the lottery? Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
How much is too much?

What a silly question. You can never be too rich.

emelle wrote:
What would you do with it, initially?

Stack it in my living room and stare at it through binoculars.

emelle wrote:
If "money is no object," as they say, what enormous, frivolous thing would you get or do?

I'd get a 2nd home on the beaches of France.

emelle wrote:
What philanthropic endeavors would you take?

If any (which isn't too likely since I have no compassion left), I suppose I'd support the Central KY Youth Orchestra and maybe some big national Braille group.

emelle wrote:
would you immediately take a 60-day jaunt around the globe?

YES, DEFINITELY.

=-=-=-=

and now for a technical lesson.

I noticed, when I quoted your post, that you started to create a LIST for your questions. Unfortunately, you left out the LISTITEM marker, which is an asterisk. Check the BBCode documentation for instructions on how to combine a LIST tag and ASTERISK tags to create something like the following:

• question 1?
  • question 2?
emelle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBMason wrote:
and now for a technical lesson.

I noticed, when I quoted your post, that you started to create a LIST for your questions. Unfortunately, you left out the LISTITEM marker, which is an asterisk. Check the BBCode documentation for instructions on how to combine a LIST tag and ASTERISK tags to create something like the following:

• question 1?
  • question 2?

Thank you for the lesson, but why didn't you, as both a moderator and administrator, just FIX my list while including the lesson? What good is the list button if it doesn't automatically create a list for you?
emelle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thany you, Brett, for replying. It's so nice to know that the one member of our family that we know knows how to save and manage his own money is so... um... impractical and selfish, even? in his dreams of having an enormous stash of cash. No, really, I don't believe that you have no compassion left. I like your answers. I like that you have answers. It means that were this dream a reality, you wouldn't be one of those people who declares bankruptcy later. No, that's not what it means. It means you have some kind of plan for wealth. It may not be a real plan for the future, but there are some cool fun things you'd do.

I would want to see the full amount laid out in front of me in cash but at the bank in the vault, so I could really see what it looks like (like your binoculars answer but safer)... then I'd immediately pay off all my outstanding debt, increase my airline-miles-credit limit and buy all the fun toys I want (house, motorcycle, timeshare, electronics, etc.) with that card so I'd always have frequent-flier miles to travel on. Then I'd do the 60-day globetrot. Then I'd probably get back to work but throw money at the tools of my trade to increase my education/training and VISIBILITY. Then I'd support some local charity for homeless people, and maybe a big-cat-rescue group. Somewhere in there, there'd be retirement savings, because I don't want to be a lotto winner who later files for bankruptcy. I may have more answers after other people give some thought to this.

netgeek64

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: if you won the lottery Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
  • How much is too much?

There is no such thing as too much, although banks will only insure up to $100,000 (FDIC regulations)

emelle wrote:
  • What would you do with it, initially?

Throw it in the bank, take time off from work, consult an accountant, consult Daddy, buy a new car.

emelle wrote:
  • If "money is no object," as they say, what enormous, frivolous thing would you get or do?

I would get a new car (Cadillac Escalade) and enroll in fat camp.

emelle wrote:
  • What philanthropic endeavors would you take?

I would tithe at least 10%. I would contribute a portion to CFIDs research. I would also contribute a portion to Bipolar Disorders.

emelle wrote:
Suppose your cut is small - only $50,000 per year for 26 years. Would you save it at first so you could pay off debt and taxes? Or would you immediately take a 60-day jaunt around the globe?

I'm not very good at saving. I would pay off any remaining debt (although, with what we've recently received, I have very few of those) and I would still quit my job. I would have to make some lists (that's the only way I know how to think) and then act on them.
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Mommy's favorite Bible verse)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hloaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: if you won the lottery Reply with quote

Look at me - reviving old posts just to throw my two cents in!
emelle wrote:
How much is too much?

When Bill Gates is asking to borrow some of your money.

emelle wrote:
What would you do with it, initially?

I'd tithe 10%, then pay off my debt, my parents' debt, Alex's parents' debt, my brother's debt and Alex's sister's debt. Shoo, I sure hope I win a lot!

emelle wrote:
If "money is no object," as they say, what enormous, frivolous thing would you get or do?

Alex and I would quit our jobs and spend six months traveling the world.

emelle wrote:
What philanthropic endeavors would you take?

If I had any money left over after paying off everyone's debt, I'd donate my time and money to The ONE Campaign.

emelle wrote:
Would you save it at first so you could pay off debt and taxes?

Absolutely. I hate being in debt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Holla back All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: