return to LexJB.com talk.LexJB.com
made obsolete by http://Facebook.com/JBMason

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Suggestions for LexJB.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: test Reply with quote

Dad said he was locked out.
netgeek64

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: test Reply with quote

How could he be locked out? Maybe he didn't take the time to register.
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Mommy's favorite Bible verse)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe after he made his username, he failed to immediately log in with that username.

BTW, tell him that the web address attached to his profile is not his actual web address -- he left off THE
netgeek64

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Suggestions for LexJB.com Reply with quote

I told him. He knows. I guess when he's sober he'll fix it.
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Mommy's favorite Bible verse)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important milestone: today I got my first idiot spammer member (who I've already deleted). The person did not submit any posts, but the person had posted a link to a spammy blog on his/her LexJB profile, which is good enough for Google.

I was a little worried that this kind of thing would happen, and when the time comes that I am forced to put a lot of effort into deleting spammers, I will take the lazy approach and block all new registration attempts.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

second idiot spammer joined tonight (and was promptly deleted)

this is very annoying / intolerable

if I cannot figure out how to stop this from happening, I will tear down the forums completely because I don't wish to be bothered by anything

I hate when a hobby becomes WORK
netgeek64

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBMason wrote:
this is very annoying / intolerable

if I cannot figure out how to stop this from happening, I will tear down the forums completely because I don't wish to be bothered by anything

Please, please, please don't tear down this forum. I have a shotgun, a rifle, a .22 and a .45. I also have a taser and various sizes of knives. Anything I can do to assist you in eliminating spammers, I will. Mr. Green

I know emelle would most certainly miss it - as well as dad. I know I don't contribute much, but I can definitely provide violence and mayhem where necessary!
emelle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Oh, please, please, please don't shut down the forum... Cheryl's right; I would miss this too much and I KNOW I would still not bother with MySpace to keep up with you guys.

Is there any way you can put on the "post your profile" page the threat Cheryl made, as in "Disclaimer: Anyone joining this post with the express intention of spamming our current registered users will be hunted down and SHOT with one of the following weapons, and/or seriously maimed with a big Bowie knife. 'Ever seen what a Henry rifle can do in the hands of someone who knows how to use it?' Consider yourself warned"?

btw, Cheryl, altho you did have to shrink your pic down quite a bit, I LOVE your avatar! too bad the polar bear couldn't read, huh?

JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned that there is a feature missing from this version of the forum software which will be added to the next version. (I want to be able to disable registrations completely, and I don't want to rewrite the PHP code in order to do that.)

If Dad's website supports PHP, it would be excellent to move this entire enchilada over to his site, at which point I can tear it down from this site.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if you're curious about what's triggering my anger, keep your eye on the bottom section of the front page of talk.LexJB.com where the user count is shown. When that number hits double-digits, a spammer has successfully been registered on the memberlist with a spammy site linked from his/her profile.

I've turned on "account activation = admin" like I was supposed to, but it did not stop a 3rd nuisance from joining while I slept. The spammers obviously know how to squeeze around certain important roadblocks in this open-source software.

What a pain.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE, one hour later

I was hoping to avoid rewriting the PHP code, but there was a modification I found which allows me to disable all new registrations, so I went ahead and made the suggested changes to 5 of the internal code pages.

As of right now, no new users can register for this board, which (unfortunately) will turn my lovely neighbor friends like Danielle and Mary Ann away. On the bright side, it should turn idiot spammers away, too.

We'll see what happens next...

rmgreen15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBMason wrote:

i almost went to see that show in london with my dad...we ran out of time though Crying or Very sad
Dad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have Mary Ann and Danielle register the next time you see them then enable the code again

JBMason wrote:
UPDATE, one hour later

As of right now, no new users can register for this board, which (unfortunately) will turn my lovely neighbor friends like Danielle and Mary Ann away.

JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad wrote:
Have Mary Ann and Danielle register the next time you see them then enable the code again

Since they have not referenced these online discussions to me yet, not on email and not in person, then it's clear they have zero interest in reading or joining the forums. So I'll keep registrations closed until someone from my local circle of friends comes up to me and says, "please reopen the registrations for me. I'm dying to leave comments on talk.LexJB.com."
emelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBMason wrote:
"please reopen the registrations for me. I'm dying to leave comments on talk.LexJB.com."

I wonder if the registration lock-down affected pm-ing, or if you closed that off separately. I noticed Cheryl and Daddy each on at the same time as me earlier and was going to IM Cheryl through your pm button but got the error message that that feature was disabled at this time (or something like that)... I didn't really have anything general to post at the time and wanted to test that feature. Not terribly important - no one has sent me any messages, as far as I can tell.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the PM feature turned off for the entire time the board's been active.
emelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are private messages a bad thing, if you have to be a registered user to use them?

na-na-na-na-na... when I checked in this evening, I saw there were new posts, then my IE shut down, and when I came back, the new posts were now white instead of orange, even tho I hadn't read them yet. is that an issue here or with IE?

JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
are private messages a bad thing, if you have to be a registered user to use them?

I am blocking PMs because we all email each other privately, making PMs an unnecessary feature. At some point, I need to say, "enough with the inboxes!" I have an inbox on Outlook and on MySpace and on Facebook; I do not want another inbox here.

emelle wrote:
there were new posts, then my IE shut down, and when I came back, the new posts were now white instead of orange, even tho I hadn't read them yet. is that an issue here or with IE?

It's standard behavior for all websites, including this one, that use cookies to track visitor preferences. When you showed up today with IE, this forum checked your cookie to determine which posts were new. At that point, you saw certain orange-flavored topics, and the cookie was rewritten for your current viewing time. But then IE crashed, and when you reopened IE, this forum checked your cookie again to determine which posts were new.... but of course there were no new posts since the previous viewing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Suggestions for LexJB.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: