return to LexJB.com talk.LexJB.com
made obsolete by http://Facebook.com/JBMason

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using animals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaryAnn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Using animals Reply with quote

Brett said I should start a new topic, so here goes: what do you all think about using animals -- for food, entertainment, clothing and experimentation? And, I'm curious about your diet choices. Do you have any restrictions or preferences?

And, finally, what is your impression of vegans and veganism?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

M.A.
Dad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Using animals Reply with quote

Consuming vegetables consist of V8, I like spinach and asparagus stir fry.
I love steak, hamburgers and brat's. I hate Tofu. I have a cat, I don't own a mink coat. Some animals are genetically bred to be susceptible to certain diseases. I don't believe in killing babies, but I do believe in stem cell research. That leave entertainment, I laugh when Brett makes the cat dance with him. She meows but loves it. She goes right back to him

MaryAnn wrote:
what do you all think about using animals -- for food, entertainment, clothing and experimentation? And, I'm curious about your diet choices. Do you have any restrictions or preferences?

M.A.

JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Using animals Reply with quote

MaryAnn wrote:
I'm curious about your diet choices. Do you have any restrictions or preferences?

No mushrooms and no asparagus. Lots of sweetness (including barbeque sauce).

MaryAnn wrote:
And, finally, what is your impression of vegans and veganism?

Expensive!!
emelle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a "When Harry Met Sally" high-maintenance girl in that I like what I like and I want what I want the way I want it. I can eat at any restaurant and find SOMETHING that suits my tastebuds, EXCEPT for Vegan/Vegetarian restaurants.

Not a big fan of salad, but I like most other veggies (exceptions being mushrooms, onions, brussels sprouts). HUGE fan of meat, but I don't want it served with its face on my plate. Love dairy; hate eggs. Don't like spicy foods in general. Love things like anchovies & sardines. Don't need baked goods that much. Don't really need sauces, particularly sweet ones.

I eat often throughout the day and try to pair a "good" protein with a "good" carb.

Beyond food... I am entertained by people and their pets, unless their pets are large, slobbery, humpy dogs, or small, yippy, poopy, humpy dogs. Okay, so I'm really not that entertained by dogs. I like cats and birds and fish, tho. Quite fond of big cats (in much the same way Brett has always been fond of elephants); always wanted to raise one from a cub; know that I never will own enough land or want to spend that much money on meat that I'm not eating. Am heartbroken to hear of captive animals that have suffered abuse, particularly predatory animals that were never meant to be contained.

Clothing: I'll wear cow skin, because I've already eaten its muscles.

Testing: not really in the realm of what I think about. I'm apolitical about most things and find that it's much easier to live my life by not worrying about the things most people worry about. I don't really worry at all.

off-topic, when are you going to give us an avatar, hmmmm?

JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
Am heartbroken to hear of captive animals that have suffered abuse, particularly predatory animals that were never meant to be contained.

Oh, good googah moogah, this is the start of something huge; watch out. You will soon be required to watch Peaceable Kingdom to complete your education about how all of our food animals are captive and abused.

emelle wrote:
it's much easier to live my life by not worrying about the things most people worry about. I don't really worry at all.

This is definitely my preferred approach to life. Things that happen outside my tiny little comfort zone do not worry me -- things like presidential elections, airline passengers with tuberculosis, outsourcing of tech-support jobs to India, or the mistreatment of food animals under the command of the IHOP people. The only things I might worry about are things like my finances and my friends and my lack of iron when I feel like donating blood.

emelle wrote:
give us an avatar, hmmmm?

This is in process and coming soon. Once she sends me the 8KB file she wants to upload, I'll modify it to be a 6KB file that she will be able to upload.
MaryAnn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: correction Reply with quote

JBMason wrote:
emelle wrote:
Am heartbroken to hear of captive animals that have suffered abuse, particularly predatory animals that were never meant to be contained.

Oh, good googah moogah, this is the start of something huge; watch out. You will soon be required to watch Peaceable Kingdom to complete your education about how all of our food animals are captive and abused.

Brett -- are you implying that you were forced to watch said documentary? I remember that you asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I gave you the choice of something from my Amazon list or watching Peaceable Kingdom. You chose to watch Peaceable Kingdom.

Are there any pictures of the cat dancing?

Not liking tofu must be a male Mason trait. I like all vegetables except the ones that look like little shrubs -- broccoli and cauliflower. When I see them, my face looks like this: Confused
circe_pleading

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a deep hatred of "little shrub" vegetables; I once argued that as cauliflower is white, it couldn't have nutritional value. Wikipedia proved me wrong on that one; but I'd much rather eat just about any other vegetable. Broccoli is okay served stir-fried, but raw I just can't take it.

I'm not necessarily adverse to the meat-animal-industry; reading Fast Food Nation only confirmed that financially supporting it through my purchasing power was something I didn't want to do. I'd love to eat meat if happy free range organic local meat didn't cost so much [even though I understand why it is more expensive]; eating vegetables and lentils and tofu is so much cheaper, even in organics, that it is worth it to only eat meat when someone else buys it for me. [i.e. Turkey Sloppy Joes]

I do support animal testing; however, only in the cases where strict regulation force certain standards of living conditions; ethical scientists the world over have realized that happy, healthy animals give better test results. As is, I know someone who has as a job a lab-animal-socializer. She snuggles and walks dogs for Purina. Cool, huh?

Apparently God, in the Bible supports consuming goat-milk and goat-milk products over cow-milk-products. *shrug* I likes me some goat cheese, and I just learned they make goat-milk-ice-cream, so I'm game to try it; they sure as hell better have taken the "goaty" taste out of the chocolate goat cream, otherwise I'll cry. Scientifically, goats' milk is easier to digest because of its composition. i.e. lactose intolerant or cows milk intolerant people can drink goats-milk and goats-milk products.

I think drinking milk is really gross, even if it is organic. I've always thought this since I was a wee tyke. You will only catch me with a glass of milk if I'm eating a huge chunk of chocolate cake.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: correction Reply with quote

MaryAnn wrote:
Brett -- are you implying that you were forced to watch said documentary?

Uh, no, not at all. I was telling my sister that she is setting herself up for a verbal beatdown when she mentions abuse and cruelty without knowing what you shared with me about factory farms.

MaryAnn wrote:
Are there any pictures of the cat dancing?

Since I was holding the cat and making it dance, I was not holding any cameras. And now I can't remember if anyone documented the times when I was holding the cat and making it dance. But there will be many more times when I make the cat dance, so I will try to remember to document this hilarity later.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

circe_pleading wrote:
only eat meat when someone else buys it for me. [i.e. Turkey Sloppy Joes]

Big day today: Kari's first post!

Now that Kari is here (under the pen name Lina Kirkwood), I have closed the new member signups.
MaryAnn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: correction Reply with quote

JBMason wrote:
Uh, no, not at all. I was telling my sister that she is setting herself up for a verbal beatdown when she mentions abuse and cruelty without knowing what you shared with me about factory farms.

Ah, yes. Anyone who knows me can tell you that I'm all about verbally beating people down. Especially when they are as welcoming and gracious as Emelle.
emelle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Too many really fun posts to quote individually, so I hope I remember each one that I wanted to respond to.

"Tofu-hating is a male Mason family trait" - SO NOT TRUE. Tofu is ICKY! YUCK YUCK YUCK! Pbthh... Razz

Welcome to the forum, Kari. Don't know why you're using a pseudonym, but to each his/her own. If you choose to post again, please offer us an avatar (even if it's not your face, as the polar bear who can't read does not adequately depict my sister).

Re: abuse of animals: Don't wanna watch that documentary, no thank you, would much rather be blissfully ignorant of my food. I'm referring to animals that are NOT used as food. I will still donate a portion of my lottery winnings to support big cats.

I likes me some goat cheese, too, but being lactose-tolerant I'll stick with ice cream from cows' milk. Have you ever been to The Stinking Rose and gotten the garlic ice cream? Incredible. Phenomenal. Amazing. Pretty sure it's made from cows' milk, tho. ---When I got home from set today, I was hungry, so I curbed it with a fat glass of non-fat cows' milk. YUM! (Of course, that didn't really curb it, so I had to have some dark chocolate too).

All that stuff Brett doesn't worry about, I don't worry about either. It keeps me quite happy to be un-worried about those things. Yay, MY LIFE!

MaryAnn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: another question or two Reply with quote

Thank you very much, folks, for your responses. I find them interesting. (Imagine Brett singing in the background, "Getting to kno-o-w you! Getting to know a-all abow-ut you!")

If you'll indulge me further, I have another question. Do you think people are more important than animals? Why or why not?

Here's a follow-up question: do you think people deserve more compassion than animals (and by compassion I mean the opportunity to avoid suffering and death)?

BTW, Emelle, my sister used to live in L.A. (now in Laguna Beach) and she and her husband LOVED the Stinking Rose. They used to consider it their special place.

Speaking of garlic ice cream, I used to drink avocado margaritas when I lived in Austin. So creamy!
emelle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: another question or two Reply with quote

MaryAnn wrote:
Do you think people are more important than animals? Why or why not?
Um, no, just gifted (and burdened) with conscience.
MaryAnn wrote:
Here's a follow-up question: do you think people deserve more compassion than animals (and by compassion I mean the opportunity to avoid suffering and death)?
MaryAnn wrote:
Speaking of garlic ice cream, I used to drink avocado margaritas when I lived in Austin. So creamy!
EW! EW! I forgot to mention avocados (and mangos) in my list of dietary YUCKY-ness.
Dad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: another question or two Reply with quote

When I first saw Mary Ann's topic I thought OK he we go, I'll just go along for the ride. I watch two DVD's and find eight gazillion posts. (Subject to exaggeration, sorry). Since the new poster is from Indiana, I can only assume she is his dance partner from that state. An avatar would be nice, preferably a head shot. Welcome aboard. Sorry to slide off topic fo a minute.

emelle wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
EW! EW! I forgot to mention avocados (and mangos) in my list of dietary YUCKY-ness.

emelle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: another question or two Reply with quote

Dad wrote:
I watch two DVD's and find eight gazillion posts.

Laughing ROFLMAO Laughing
Dad wrote:
(Subject to exaggeration, sorry).

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times, DON'T EXAGGERATE!!!
Dad wrote:
Sorry to slide off topic fo a minute.

Better to slide off topic than off your rocker, so I forgive you (can't speak for the rest of the group).
But will you please stop including complete quotes, tho, PLEASE? (See directly below) I may have to start posting in size 4 font.
emelle wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:

JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad, you are overquoting, and it is bothering at least one of us. Please do not use the QUOTE button anymore. Use the Post Reply button instead, or else we will either (1) give you a verbal beatdown, or (2) turn your dancing cat into meatloaf.

Overquoting is forbidden!
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: another question or two Reply with quote

Dad wrote:
I can only assume she is his dance partner from that state.

She will not be a rapid-fire panelist here like the rest of us; she has minimal Internet access in her very busy Indiana life. So it's possible she won't be able to upload an avatar for a while. In the meantime, visit my PHOTOS subdomain to see what she looks like when she's dancing with me:
http://photos.lexjb.com/v/2007/
circe_pleading

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a pen name, because the big-evil-corporate-political world is *very* touchy about identity and politics and online writing and etc. As someone who has applied to work for the state department and may again some day be interested in working for ngos or governments or saving the world, I've decided that it would be easier to not be known as "myself" online.

A lot of my friends erased LJs and facebooks and myspaces when they were pre-post-graduation and job hunting; does one really want a future boss to see one trashed with the girls? My myspace is also under Lina Kirkwood, as are the blogs.

Hello! Brett's family! I can't believe you all hate avocados and tofu [and mangos!?] If you think I need an avatar, you'll have to consult Brett; as a technological pansy, he's designed the vast majority of my other ones.

I think for Mason family traits one must include "saying it as it is". 'Cause I've noticed that Brett doesn't tiptoe in speech; I appreciate it.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

circe_pleading wrote:
consult Brett; as a technological pansy, he's designed the vast majority of my other ones.

Ooooooooo, the misplaced modifier labels Brett as a "technological pansy." Not good. I don't want future recruiters to say, "this Brett fella looks like he might be the perfect guy for our computer business, but I found his MySpace and his blog and his friend's comment about him being a technological pansy."

To clarify, Circe_Pleading is calling herself a technological pansy, and she is giving me propz for creating her LiveJournal avatars for her.
hloaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think "technological pansy" could fit you, too. After all, the one time I tried to take you hiking in Berea you threw such a fit when the sidewalk ended that we had to turn around and go back to town. Smile
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy moley! What just happened here?

I think we should get back on the topic of animals now.
MaryAnn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: by all means Reply with quote

JBMason wrote:
Holy moley! What just happened here?

I think we should get back on the topic of animals now.

I wonder why no one but Emelle has answered my last bunch of questions. You would think that at least the administrator of this forum would deign to respond... Rolling Eyes
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: another question or two Reply with quote

MaryAnn wrote:

People are much more important than animals, as evidenced by the court system. Do we ever prosecute animals for their animal ways? Nope. But we do prosecute people. So, hmmm, it appears that animals win! They get away with murder. Are they more important than I am?

MaryAnn wrote:
do you think people deserve more compassion than animals (and by compassion I mean the opportunity to avoid suffering and death)?

Because people are much more important than animals, we've written laws to minimize the suffering and death of people. At the same time, we've created restaurants to maximize the suffering and death of animals. So history has determined (on my behalf) how much compassion the animals and people deserve. People win!

Woo-hoo!
Dad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic one more time unless avocados and Mangoes are animals. In which case I love them.
circe_pleading

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...blame the early morning, I suppose. I shudder to see the flailing grandness of that grammar error.

Also, to Brett's note that vegetarianism and veganism are expensive: not so! I watch people every day spend 6 dollars of less on vegetables, whole grains, and tofu/beans/etc. and it is a meal that will easily feed 3.

If you opt for "fast" vegetarian foods, like frozen pizza or burritos, of course they will be more expensive, because they are are not mainstream. Also, as vegetarians/vegans tend to be more food aware, they tend also to be more creative/adventurous with their culinary adventures.

So it isn't unusual to see them splurging on pine nuts for pesto, or feta for a good salad, or organics because they're aware of the effect on the body of monsanto chemicals.

I like to believe that the money I pay now for better quality vegetarian foods is the less money I spend later on medical bills when my body becomes decrepit from abuse and lack of wholesome nutrition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Holla back All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: