return to LexJB.com talk.LexJB.com
made obsolete by http://Facebook.com/JBMason

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brett's Lexington Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emelle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBMason wrote:
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:44 pm Post subject:
two amusing anecdotes from the world of Brett

love your amusing Lexington anecdotes, but...
emelle wrote:
See my request to the moderator/administrator of "Holla Back"...(July 4, 2007)

emelle wrote:
would you please delete my excess (duplicate) posts?... (July 6, 2007)

JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
would you please delete my excess (duplicate) posts?... (July 6, 2007)

No, I don't want this website to require that much effort on my part, re-reading all the forums so I can find the ones you abused. I'd rather just leave the wackiness alone. Besides, it boosts your quantity-of-entries to a ridiculous number that is close to my own!
hloaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind what I said before. I should have emailed it instead of posting. :-/

Last edited by hloaroo on Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
rmgreen15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooo.....get him girl!
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: karaoke night at church Reply with quote

Just got home from a church singles' function, karaoke night. It was fun, and everyone voted for me as "best singer," so I won a prize at the end of the event. It wasn't exactly fair to the rest of the singers, actually, since I do go out to bars regularly and perform in front of drunken strangers. I doubt the other church singles visit the bars or karaoke establishments a tenth as much as I do. Also, how many of those folks have downloaded 1500 song files to their home computers so they can practice anytime?

While driving home, I was able to see the amazing fireworks display at the Red Mile 2007 Quarter Horse Meet. I pretended that the fireworks were in my honor, since I won the karaoke contest without even trying. Thanks, Red Mile racetrack!
emelle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's our Brett! Very Happy
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new info about karaoke night:

I just noticed today that the church has posted about 20 pix from the event on their website, and I'm feeling sad that not a single one is of me. It's definitely intentional. The guy who took those pictures is the same guy who said that I'm not "commissioned by God" to contribute pictures to the website; he must also think that I'm not "commissioned by God" to have my picture taken (even though I sang several times and won a prize at the end).

What bothers me more is that I was counting on church dude to document my singing because I can't sing and do self-portraits at the same time. Maybe I'll go to church today and ask the dude if he has any shots of me singing which weren't uploaded to the website. Hope he says "I do!"

Some new info about my Lexington life:

One of my friends thinks I might be "clinically depressed" since I stay home all the time and don't go to dances anymore, among other behaviors (like road rage). I don't think I am depressed, since I have always had this roller-coaster pattern of working long enough to build up my savings and then quitting work so I can live off my savings in a lazy, low-impact way. There were many phases in my life which were similar to this current phase I'm in. Also, you're not going to find other, more revealing, behaviors on my list of behaviors, things like "unable to sleep" or "sleeping too much" or "crying all the time" or "changing my diet" or "abusing alcohol" or "committing suicide."

Here are two handy webpages about depression:
http://mayoclinic.com/health/depression/MH00103_D
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/male-depression/MC00041

If I were asked to label what I'm experiencing, I would say that it's not depression, it's existential aloneness.
Arrow http://google.com/search?q=existential+aloneness

---===---

Here's a web clipping that I like:
http://www.giftedbooks.com/authorarticles.asp?id=7
A particular way of breaking through the sense of isolation is through touch. In the same way that infants need to be held and touched, so do persons who are experiencing existential aloneness. Touch seems to be a fundamental and instinctual aspect of existence, as evidenced by mother-infant bonding or 'failure to thrive' syndrome.
emelle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If church photo guy is not forthcoming with photos, you may need to apologize for laughing at his comment. He probably did not make the "commissioned" rule, the church did. He's just doing a job the church has asked him to do, but you laughed at his face. If I were him, I wouldn't publish pix of you either. But if you actually make a sincere attempt to befriend this man...

maybe he suffers from existential aloneness too.

I think if you do actually suffer from that phoney-baloney syndrome, then you could get all the touch you need by attending dances again. Problem solved. GO OUT AND DANCE! Very Happy
Dad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son, I have gone through clinical depression, rolled up in a ball and unwilling to go out and meet new people. It is OK and it takes time. To deny that the loss of your mother has not affected you is bullshit. It has affected us all and will for a long time. Existential aloneness is just a eloquent term for being lonely. Your mother would want you to, as the country song song says, dance! http://www.thejmason.com/Life/12%20-%20The%20Dance.mp3,
The only cure for isolation is by touch. Get out and dance.
Dad

JBMason wrote:

One of my friends thinks I might be "clinically depressed" since I stay home all the time and don't go to dances anymore, among other behaviors (like road rage).
If I were asked to label what I'm experiencing, I would say that it's not depression, it's existential aloneness.

JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When have I ever said that Mom's death is not affecting me? That's insane. Of course it affects me, regularly; I just don't cry anymore when I remember it.

The dancing and the touch are gonna help me. Think I might sign up for the "group lesson only" package at the Arthur Murray that's in walking distance of my house. (They'll push me to sign up for private lessons, but that would be pointless and expensive. All I really want are group lessons and the freedom to attend "practice parties.")
Dad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, glad to hear that. Love you.

Dad
emelle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad wrote:
Good, glad to hear that.

me too
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
maybe he suffers from existential aloneness too.

I like this article: 7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable
Dad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great article. It made me think about how my days are spent.
Thanks

Quote:
I like this article: 7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable

netgeek64

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad wrote:
That was a great article.

I don't usually bother to click on all of the links that have started showing up in these posts. Mostly, that's because I think I'm too busy, but, because Dad commented on that article, I was compelled. You're right. It was good. It really helped me to understand you. Confused

I feel your pain. Or not. I do love you, though.
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Mommy's favorite Bible verse)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett's Lexington Life typically includes about 8 hours of websurfing per day. I read a ton of educational or fun (or both) webpages. Much of what I learn online is influenced by these 2 social-bookmarking areas:
Arrow http://reddit.com/
Arrow http://www.digg.com/view/all/popular/today

Occasionally I leave the house, though. Yesterday I went to the bank and made my December mortgage payment, leaving my mind free of mortgage crap until 2008. And today, Rochelle and I walked from her house to a restaurant to have a brunchtime visit.
emelle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBMason wrote:
7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable

FABULOUS article! I especially love his take on "the news" - my primary reasons for keeping news out of my life being: negativity, bias, and untimeliness (no longer "new").

Here's the main issue I have with you sending great links to great articles written by eloquent bloggers: I don't have time to read the rest of his stuff, and I really really want to now. I (don't really) wish I had the kind of job where I could spend nine hours a day on the computer!

No, I love the job I do, probably in large part because it keeps me social. I have texting blocked on my cell phone plan, so I neither send nor receive text messages. If I have to leave you a voice mail message, you may not have my body language, but at least you'll have my tone of voice. Most of my communication happens in person. I would have to say that I have more friends than average.

Thank you so much for that link!
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big day today in Brett's life (not just "Brett's Lexington Life").

I helped a guy with his computer, and he gave me my first guitar ever. It's an acoustic guitar, a Yamaha F-310, and the carrying case has a nice, soft inner lining.

So if no one invites me out tonight, I'm planning to stay in and teach myself some basic guitar skills using BitTorrent downloads or websites like
http://freeguitarvideos.com/

P.S. Regarding this new addition to my collection of musical instruments... I am expecting that it will trigger a major turnaround in my love life. There's a Craigslist page I found that I would love to share with y'all, if only it weren't so, ummmmmmm, R-rated. (If you're really curious about this article, Google the exact phrase "craigslist portland flagged" and make the preteens leave the room.)
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote the above entry almost 4 hours ago, and I've been poking around on my new guitar ever since. I've certainly been learning solid fundamentals from YouTube lessons and other websites' hints, but my focus will now be on an excellent DVD I have just discovered online which is called "Learn To Play Your Guitar - A Method For Beginners." My new goal is to practice along with these video chapters at least once a day.

Here's hoping that I make progress quickly; today, I am the worst guitar player in history.
netgeek64

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBMason wrote:
today, I am the worst guitar player in history.

Mommy always believed in "practice makes perfect". Did you know I played guitar in the 4th grade? At gifted class? I loved my guitar. I was sad to leave it behind when we left Miami. It was a 6-string Spanish guitar. I am pleased that you are teaching yourself guitar. When I am a rich database programmer, I will get back into guitar, too.
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Mommy's favorite Bible verse)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
emelle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

netgeek64 wrote:
Did you know I played guitar in the 4th grade? At gifted class?

Did you know I did too? In 4th grade? At "Tropical"?
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded a new video to Facebook, a video of me playing my guitar, but I think that Facebook does not allow me to share this link with non-Facebook folks the same way they let me share my photo albums with non-Facebook folks. Dang!

"Progress Report - Week 1: BRETT PLAYING 'ODE TO JOY'"
http://utk.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=514840867740
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I went out with Rob and his cousin from Germany again, so my Facebook account has some new photos and videos, including a video of me sipping Stefan's beer.

http://utk.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2146341&l=02a33&id=12920142

Sorry, but you won't be able to see the videos unless are a Facebook member. Maybe someday I'll upload them to Videos.LexJB.com, but not today. I'll be conserving bandwidth today, letting Facebook serve up these huge files on their powerful servers.
MaryAnn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: water use Reply with quote

Dear Mason family and friends,

I want to share an anecdote with you. Today I went over to Brett's house to watch the Daily Show with him. I sat in a recliner, took off my crocs, and saw that my feet were dirty from the dog walk I had taken earlier. So I said to Brett, "Gee, I need to wash my feet!" He followed me to the guest bathroom, where I turned on the bathtub faucet and rinsed my feet.

About 20 seconds after I turned on the faucet, Brett said, "I'm getting very nervous. I'm thinking about how I don't have a job and suddenly my water bill is going to be fifty bucks." So I turned off the water and asked him for the monetary value of the water I just used. He thought it would cost him about a nickel. I volunteered to bring a dime over the next time I visit him.

Shortly afterwards, I used the toilet in his guest bathroom. But I made sure to ask him if it was okay to flush it. He gave me permission to do so. I also washed my hands, but I didn't get clearance for that first. Wink
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a funny anecdote. I kinda wish that Mary Ann had mentioned how she was running the bathtub faucet at full force for much more than 20 seconds, even though she was only washing her feet. Does anyone need a bathtub full of water just to cleanse her dirty feet? Certainly not.

Now you have both sides of the story, and you can make fun of me all you want! (Keep in mind that I'm ultraconservative when I'm unemployed.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Holla back All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: