return to LexJB.com talk.LexJB.com
made obsolete by http://Facebook.com/JBMason

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

landline versus cell-line

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: landline versus cell-line Reply with quote

In this forum, you can try to persuade me to abandon my landline and start using the highly overrated cell-phone services that mainstream society applauds on a daily basis.

While you think of reasons, enjoy this wacky self-portrait showing how I look when answering my ringing landline touchtone phone (shot today, July 3rd):

netgeek64

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying we HAVE to be for cell phone usage vice landline? What if we wish all calls were landline and that the cell phone was used for emergency only?
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Mommy's favorite Bible verse)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to let everyone know that I will be away from my landline today. I'm heading north to the Cincinnati area (on I-75 woo-hoo) to visit my friend Kari as she visits her family. She invited me up there to see her because it's a much shorter trip from Lexington to Cincinnati than from Lexington to Bloomington.

You won't be able to reach me online or on my landline for most of the day; call me on my cell phone if you must.
emelle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there you have it, in a nutshell. The entire argument for cell phone ownership and usage - so you can be in touch with the people who want to be in touch with you. No one can convince you to give up your landline until you feel it is obsolete. For me, in this town and this industry, I would never survive without a cell phone, and my landline is essentially obsolete but for the fact that I still have a dial-up modem on my computer. When you make a truly compelling argument for me to spend more money for faster internet, I'll make a compelling argument for you to give up your landline.

Until then...
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to let everyone know that I will be away from my landline on Tuesday. I'm heading north, past Cincinnati, to cash in a free ticket for the King's Island amusement park. (The blood center gave me the ticket as a reward for my most recent donation.)

You won't be able to reach me online or on my landline for the whole day; call me on my cell phone if you must. (But try not to call me immediately after I've shattered a car part in a bizarre travel event.)
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I'm back from my trip to King's Island; thought you might be pleased to learn that I survived the drive. I can neither confirm nor deny that my seatbelt remained unused.)
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This relates to cell phone service.

Today I learned how to turn off the stupid, pointless, callback prompt on the outgoing message of the Verizon voicemail. It never occurred to me to do this (or learn this) before, but Danielle and I had a small chat about it recently, so I was motivated.

Here's a discussion forum on the same topic:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=470651

Yet another reason to despise cell phones: CALLBACK PROMPTS are turned on by default! Why? Who uses this feature??
emelle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is a callback prompt?
netgeek64

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
What the hell is a callback prompt?

yeah! what she said! Surprised
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Mommy's favorite Bible verse)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say you create a very nice and very personal outgoing message, saying something like "if you really love me, you'll tell me your name and number, and then I will probably call you back and love you more."

AND THEN THE ROBOT LADY COMES ON and gives some unnecessary hoody-hoo about "to leave a callback number, press 5" or whatever garbage she spouts that no one ever wants to hear (or actually will ever do).

If you're smart, you'll just ignore the lady and wait for the beep you thought was coming on before the lady came on. The rest of us are not so smart, and we have become aware and critical of the lady, so she taunts us with her pointlessness over and over and over again!!!!

Here's the new goal: eliminate the callback prompt from all your friends' outgoing messages.

emelle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we find out if the annoying lady is on our own phone for other people, and how do we gently request she disappear from our friends' phones?
Dad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Why Brett should have a cellphone Reply with quote

Long time btween posts on this subject

Just learned this yesterday. To extend the range of your notebook. use a cat 5 cable plugged into the rj45 port, wrap it around the cell phone and refresh your network options. It should add up to 4 or more new networks.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Why Brett should have a cellphone Reply with quote

Dad wrote:
Just learned this yesterday. To extend the range of your notebook. use a cat 5 cable plugged into the rj45 port, wrap it around the cell phone and refresh your network options. It should add up to 4 or more new networks.

By now you've probably figured out that that was a hoax video, a joke video. Wrapping cat 5 cable around a cell phone doesn't do what you want it to do. The "Infinite Solutions" video series is a comedy series:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LY8Wi7XRXCA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Holla back All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: