return to LexJB.com talk.LexJB.com
made obsolete by http://Facebook.com/JBMason

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free movies from the library
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emelle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Free movies from the library Reply with quote

So I went looking for ballroom dance movies, and ended up with musicals instead.
  • A Chorus Line: dated, but fun for the dancing (and the music's definitely memorable, singable, hum-able)
  • South Pacific: incredibly dated, what with the "immediate" falling-in-love followed by the "immediate" falling out of love when love clashes with your racist upbringing. The extras on the DVD made it worth the price, what with "Movietone News" featurettes and performances by Mary Martin (vastly superior to Mitzi Gaynor)
Then I returned those and picked up
  • Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: a cult classic like Rocky Horror and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes but not nearly the fun, drag queen movie that is To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Love, Julie Newmar. Although it is fun to watch Hugo Weaving, Terence Stamp, and Guy Pearce in drag, they are not very good at drag queen performance.
  • Some Like it Hot: Marilyn Monroe's gowns are just this close to indecent, where the beading climbs up to the cleavage and stops right at the nipples, leaving mesh above to the neckline, and such low backs there is no way she could have worn a bra. Also, how is it that the gay man (Tony Curtis) ends up with the girl while the straight man (Jack Lemmon) ends up with the boy? Strange movie.
  • Brigadoon: I picked this up since I'd never read or seen it, and I thought I should round-out my musical theatre knowledge. Sweet, but not well shot. They probably couldn't afford to go on location, so the film appeared as a stage play (albeit on a LARGE stage).
  • The Remains of the Day:Slow moving but beautiful Merchant-Ivory production with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson. I wanted the ending that Sir Anthony made them shoot but that was only included in the deleted scenes; without it, the film felt incomplete.
Next up, Mary Reilly, Mystic Pizza, Camelot, and All That Jazz!
emelle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched All That Jazz, knowing nothing about it beforehand except that it was a dance movie. No, it's not a dance movie, it's an autobiography of Bob Fosse. Now I have to see more Bob Fosse movies.

Mystic Pizza is the career jumping off point for Julia Roberts, Lili Taylor, Anabeth Gish, Vincent (Phillip) D'Onofrio, and a VERY young Matt Damon. Fun, late-teen romp about life, love, and life lessons. I thought I'd never seen it before but when I discovered I had, at least I didn't remember it. So is that a good thing or a bad thing? In watching the credits, I discovered there was ONE stand-in credited - that was a busy chick! Not an un-tasty little flick.

Mary Reilly is WOW. I had definitely not seen it, and while Julia Roberts deserved the accolades for her performance, John Malkovich was incredible. I'm not sure I've ever seen better performances by either of them. Great DARK, creepy, love story. Very intense.

Last edited by emelle on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
emelle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camelot: Epic (long, drawn-out) stage musical put on screen... Great performances by Richard Harris and Vanessa Redgrave but DEADLY DULL pacing. Meant to be visually stunning but doesn't stand up to the test of time (obviously devoid of special effects due to being filmed in 1967).

Hope whatever I get at the library today holds my attention.
emelle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so my last library trip only yielded a book and no movies, but my semi-annual WalMart run today yielded two inexpensive flicks that you can probably check out for free at your local library.

I Highly Recommend The Legend of Bagger Vance. It is as superb a golf movie as they come, and while I do not enjoy playing the sport myself, I do enjoy sport movies, particularly golf movies set in the 1920's and 1930's. Wonderful! Marvelous! Funny! Romantic! Poignant! Brilliant! I loved it - can you tell?
emelle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week's titles:
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: ick. Matrix-style samurai fighting, set in a "real" love story/drama of good and evil. I knew that this movie won acclaim for the wire work, but I didn't like the mix of "reality" (story line) with fantasy (being able to "fly" while sword fighting). Maybe because lately the whole fantasy genre is turning my stomach, I dunno. Didn't like it.
An Affair to Remember: supposedly a real "chick flick" but I didn't get the appeal. Decent extras on the DVD with particular insight into Cary Grant's personal demons over his real-life affair with Sophia Loren, I remembered that this film was paid homage in Sleepless in Seattle but didn't realize I hadn't seen it. Now I know why I hadn't seen it. Man, do I sound jaded!
Alice Adams: the Great Kate in her YOUNG years, trying so hard to climb a social ladder... very dated film but fun to watch; I particularly enjoyed the men who played her father and brother... and when she turned on the waterworks, she was just so beautiful. Ah, me. Some fun "behind the scenes" commentary as well.
An American in Paris: I had no idea when watching Chocolat that this was Leslie Caron's film debut. That woman could dance! Wow! Hated the story line; hated that her character was so weak willed toward Gene Kelly's agressiveness. The dancing was great tho, and there's plenty of it.
emelle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's titles:
Dogma: I loved this flick when it first came out, so watching it with all its extras was extra special. In fact, I watched all the extras first, so by the time I saw the movie, I actually had forgotten how soon into the film they introduce the concept of God's gender. What I love about this movie is that it pushes faith more than anything, and pretty much says that if organized religion doesn't celebrate faith, then it's not a very good organization. The extra features are fantastic. And seriously, if you like Kevin Smith movies anyway, how can you miss with a cast like Ben and Matt, Linda Fiorentino, George Carlin, Chris Rock, Jason Lee, and Alan Rickman? Plus Janeane Garofalo and Alanis Morrisette have fun cameos.
Alfie (2004): Never saw the original but had so much fun with this one, starring Jude Law, Marisa Tomei, and Susan Sarandon, that now I must pick up Michael Caine's 1960's version. Plenty of fun extras on the DVD as well.
Boys Don't Cry: Hilary Swank got her first Oscar (R) nod for this one, but I didn't know it was based on a true girl-who-tried-to-be-a-boy-and-got-killed-for-it story. Not well told, theatrically, in my opinion. Several times in the first hour I was ready to just give up on it, but I watched the whole damn thing. I am sad to say that I didn't actually get interested in the plot until the violence started. I do have to say, tho, that I was particularly impressed with Peter Sarsgaard. Hilary was good; he was completely real.
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying: Didn't know this was a Broadway musical until they started playing music I recognized (sad, isn't it? and me a stage actor?); I checked this out because my "boss" on Mad Men was on the cover, a much younger man (this movie was released in 1967). As fun musical comedy goes, this one is great. I laughed at his meteoric rise through the ranks of the office he chooses to invade, I sang along with the songs I somehow knew, I cheered for his romance with (another very young) Michele Lee. I related the young man to the older character that I know in person and I can't wait until we start a second season so I can approach him with snippets of "I Believe in You" or "Brotherhood of Man". In checking the IMDb links, I am surprised to find that he is also not credited for Mad Men, but he is most definitely credited for the role he took from Broadway to the silver screen here.
hloaroo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
...Vincent (Phillip) D'Onofrio...

Why did you list his middle name here? Is it because you've met him or because you were distinguishing him from another Vincent D'Onofrio or because of the role he plays in the movie? Alex is a HUGE fan of his, and it would totally make his day if he knew someone who knows someone who knows Vincent D'Onofrio. In fact, even if you don't know him just say you do so I can make Alex's day. Wink
emelle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, you'll have to make Alex's day in some other way. Here is a short list of the people I've met: Kiefer Sutherland, Elisha Cuthbert, Beau Bridges, Rosanna Arquette (all of whom I've worked with/for); Lee Meriwether and Betty Garrett, who are active members of my theatre company (well, not MY company but the company I'm a member of as well); Armin Shimerman, Michael Chiklis, Jim Carrey, and Jennifer Aniston (who were in attendance at some function where I was serving concessions); Philip Seymour Hoffman (a close friend of my former acting teacher); Sally Kirkland (the acting teacher of a close friend); and Beth Grant, who I ran into over lunch one day (referenced in a gratitude thread, I think). The reason I listed Vincent's middle name is that he is credited in that movie with his full name.

I hope this clarifies things for you, as well as maybe making your day (or Alex's) because of "knowing" someone else on this list. I just figured it out... 6 degrees of separation - Vincent worked with Julia on "Mystic Pizza" - Julia worked with Kiefer on "Flatliners" - Kiefer and I worked on "24" - I know you through this forum - you know Alex, because, well, you know Alex. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
hloaroo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Even if you haven't met Vincent D'Onofrio you've still met a LOT of awesome actors! That's amazing! And I know you! Well, sort of.

Just knowing I know people who know people makes me feel more important. Thanks! Very Happy

P.S. I've told all of my friends that I know someone who appeared on Desperate Housewives - hope you don't mind. Smile
emelle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, with DH that's a few more people I "know" - like Doug the boom operator and Phil in wardrobe... Wink okay, I did "work with" Felicity and Eva, and I'm good friends with one of the peripheral older neighborhood ladies, Pat Crawford Brown (because she's also a member of Theatre West)... so there you go.

Glad to be able to make your day.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hloaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've already seen that picture, Mr. JBMason. It was on your website back in the day. Smile
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hloaroo wrote:
It was on your website back in the day. Smile

It still is!
http://lexjb.com/2006_12.htm
emelle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Right! Back to business! I'm sure I know more people by now, including Kathy Joosten, the little white-blonde-haired lady featured in the near-foreground of the preceding photo... I had met her numerous times at some industry function PLUS stood in for her on an episode of Las Vegas last season. She's great fun; as much fun as my other DH friend Pat Crawford Brown (yes, before posting this, I did re-read the entire thread)...

MOVIES:

Ben-Hur (the 1959 epic starring Charleton Heston: won 11 Academy Awards in its day, so it can't possibly be a bad flick, can it? No, I did enjoy it, sort of, over the course of two days (it's three-and-one-half hours long but I think a good editor from today could re-cut it and make it accessible to today's shorter-attention-span audiences. I loved the featurette, because it went in-depth into the original book, and its author, and the first few stage productions and silent movies and the whole copyright issue that sprang from them. I have one more viewing before I return to the library to listen to Chuck's commentary (which means another 3.5 hours, wow).
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1955): Hot damn is that a good flick, considering the utter lack of special effects or even color, for that matter. I don't tend to go for really scary horror sci-fi, but because of the era this one was made, I borrowed it for a good laugh, maybe. NO. It was edge-of-my-seat. I was never scared for myself, but I was invested and involved enough in the characters to be scared for them. Awesome. The only real special feature on the DVD is a terrible interview with Kevin McCarthy, the star of the flick (he's a recognizable face for you, I promise). Kevin's part of the interview was fine; the interviewer was way more amateur in his part than anyone posting on this forum would be! When he mispronounces Mandy Patinkin's name (no, he's not in this movie, it's some obscure reference the guy makes... maybe a 6-degrees kind of thing), he's completely unapologetic and says "whatever"!!!! What? Whatever? Where'd this guy come from? Other than that idiot, though, the movie itself was WELL WORTH the price I paid for it, at least.

I may be the only one who ever posts here anymore, but I don't care. It keeps me in your worlds if you at least read them!

mwa!
emelle
emelle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guessed it, fans... I've been back to the library for more "something to do for free while I'm bored at home" time! I checked out five movies, ~relatively~ recent flicks that I'd not seen in the theaters although I had considered it for at least two or three... so here they are, in no particular order:

A Prairie Home Companion: This is a sweet, theatricalized version of what might could happen to Garrison Keillor's quirky NPR radio show. It's fun and funny, and the cast is great, and there are plenty of special features on the DVD to make it worth your while to rent (especially for free from the library). I was/am a sometime-fan of the radio show, so it was familiar to me... the absolute best song is sung by Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly, the cowboys "Dusty and Lefty" - I won't ruin the punchline for you, but if you do watch this movie, the song is the last one they sing as the evening's show is winding down. Great, just great.

Rushmore: eh, not so much. None of the characters are particularly likable, but some of the "stunts" Jason Schwartzman's character pulls off are pretty laughable. The best ones to watch are the peripherals, like Dirk and the Scottish bully. Plus, the DVD lacks any extras, so as long as it's free, you might enjoy it, but it certainly doesn't get high marks from me. Not a complete dud, though. Just a little weird.

And speaking of weird - V For Vendetta: was originally a graphic novel (a "dark" comic book series, for you uninformed) and translates very well to the big (or small, in my case) screen. Weird, confusing, brilliant, dark, inspiring, horrific, terrific, and so much more. Hugo Weaving is not the only person from the Matrix series to join this one; the creators brought him along to portray this brilliant, twisted, sinister, charming character ("V"). And speaking of brilliance, this is the movie Natalie Portman was in the midst of shooting (or had just completed) when she did her famous gangsta rap on SNL, and her performance is just amazing. Just amazing. Some good extras on the DVD but no commentary, so I just watched the movie again without listening to anyone's opinions. I think I have time before it's due back - I'll probably give it at least one more viewing before I return it - absolutely my favorite of the lot.

Another favorite, simply because of my "Next Gen" fan status, is Star Trek Nemesis: I had long forgotten that they'd made a fourth (and very likely FINAL) Next Gen movie, so when I saw the title on the shelf, I knew NOW was the time to catch up (since they've just completed filming the "next in the series" of Star Trek movies)... Cheryl, if you haven't seen it, you should, just so you can get a reminder taste of one of your favorite characters (and one of my LEAST favorites), Janeway. Don't worry, I haven't spoiled it for you... for any other fans out there, this is very very Star Trek Next Gen. Fits very well with the series and the series of flicks, tells a new story we somehow hadn't covered before, will make you laugh, cry, cheer, etc. as all good Trek movies do. Not necessarily the best in its series, but also not the worst. Just good solid Next Gen Trek.

For Your Consideration: Another crazy spoof from the Christopher Guest vault, this one covers the "what if?" factor for a small, nothing, independent film perspective of "what if someone were to generate Oscar spin?" It has all the usual Guest guests, plus a few new faces - my favorite acting in this one was from Guest himself, as a somewhat clueless but relatively famous Jewish film director. What a kook! Other memorables again are the peripherals, like the weather girl with the monkey puppet (she is GOOD) and the "Entertainment Tonight"-esque co-hosts, and Ed Begley, Jr. as the makeup man. If you like Guest movies, and you're interested in a spoof of my industry, then this will at least have you chuckling occasionally. The bonus material looks like it's all just deleted scenes or maybe outtakes, but it's some pretty funny stuff too.

That's all I've got for you at this point... my workouts at the Y are finally kicking in and the weight is beginning to drop! YAY!
hloaroo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emelle wrote:
I may be the only one who ever posts here anymore, but I don't care. It keeps me in your worlds if you at least read them!

Just so you know, I love reading these! Also, I know what Dusty and Lefty song you're talking abut, and it is hilarious!
emelle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE your new avatar! And I'm glad you replied...

I held onto V for Vendetta and Star Trek: Nemesis while I also picked up Jurassic Park III and basically rotated through those three movies on a daily basis until returning them all Friday... Re: JP3, hmm. It was obviously worth multiple viewings, but the commentary was done by the dino fx guys, and if you bother with the special features, you get PLENTY of fx info and insight from the "making of" featurettes, so I had to turn the commentary off. Still, this one was just as well made as the first two (if not better, I guess) and had its own standalone storyline, which was good. Tea Leoni and William H. Macy and Michael Jeter were brought in to relate to our returning hero, Dr. Alan Grant (the actor's name escapes me here)... script was good; acting was good; fx were great, of course; plot at times was really edge-of-your-seat. I guess the reason I hadn't seen it earlier was because of burnout - I just knew it couldn't possibly hold up (probably the same reason I'd missed "Nemesis") but I was pleasantly surprised.

Maybe I should have reviewed this while I still had possession of the movie, huh? Right now I have no movies from the library, because I'm actually READING self-help books - mostly about relationship stuff, like "How to Spot a Dangerous Man Before You Get Involved" and "Women Who Love Too Much", although the current book is "Al-Anon's Twelve Steps & Twelve Traditions" because I thought I might be able to skip going to an Al-Anon meeting if I read their book... I think I will actually GO to a meeting BECAUSE I've read the book - what does that tell you?

But last night I did re-watch my copy of "The Secret" because I've come to realize that this funk or depression I've been in, while I could blame it on lack of work, is really entirely of my own doing. I need to be positive again. I need to be grateful again. I need to dwell in joy, not depression. So I won't be checking out any new movies for at least a week, since I'll be working on my "Secret"...
hloaroo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I decided it was time for an updated avatar, since that last photo was more than a couple years old now. Smile

As for books, one that I'm reading right now is "Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul" by John and Stasi Eldredge. I haven't read enough to do a review on it, but I have read enough to highly recommend it. It's a pretty popular book, so I'd be surprised if your library doesn't have a copy. I hope you find something to get you out of this funk soon!
emelle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, haven't you heard? I'm out of the funk... see Grief and Gratefulness...

thanks for your concern. dunno how soon I'll be checking out any more books from the library; I'm sure it'll be movies again when I return the books in my possession (I'm just really not a reader, although I sometimes look like one).
hloaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! I'm behind in my news! I'm glad to hear you're out of the funk, though. YAY! Smile
emelle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hloaroo wrote:
As for books, one that I'm reading right now is "Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul" by John and Stasi Eldredge. I haven't read enough to do a review on it, but I have read enough to highly recommend it. It's a pretty popular book, so I'd be surprised if your library doesn't have a copy.

Guess what? My library doesn't have a copy! And there are three really good branches to the Burbank library that the website searches... I figured since you bothered to refer it, the least I could do is search... they DO have "Captivating Cats" though Wink

So I hope you will do a review when you've finished it... but probably not in this particular thread, since we originally started talking about movies here (or maybe you should put it here and see if Brett bothers to "moderate" again).

I don't mess with the Los Angeles library - I'm in the outskirts, in North Hollywood ("NoHo") and Burbank is my best bet for most anything I need...
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hloaroo wrote:
emelle wrote:

Just so you know, I love reading these! Also, I know what Dusty and Lefty song you're talking abut, and it is hilarious!

When you are "the only one who posts here anymore," don't you feel like resistance is futile? Move to Facebook like the rest of us. You won't regret it.
netgeek64

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emelle wrote:

JBMason wrote:
When you are "the only one who posts here anymore," don't you feel like resistance is futile? Move to Facebook like the rest of us. You won't regret it.

I'm proud of you for not giving in. I read this forum every freaking day. I love hearing what's up with you, my sister. I don't have uploading savvy, so I'm not going to try and figure out how to upload the video Brian made of me shooting clays - which, by the way, is posted on Facebook. Very Happy
Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Mommy's favorite Bible verse)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
emelle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest five "rentals":

The Good Girl: Jennifer Aniston and John C. Reilly gave great performances; Jake Gyllenhaal is creepy, and the story is SOOOOOO depressing... but I did watch it a couple of times (with commentary), and there are some cute extras on the DVD, so, hmm... whatever.

Best Laid Plans: picked this one up because of Reese, who was, of course, quite brilliant in her performance. In fact, all the performances were good, and the DVD extras were nice, particularly the commentary, which was not a feature-length prattling on about this technicality or that; rather, when something needed to be said, the director and his assistant commented, and then sat back to watch the movie with us. The story is very twisted, though. Disturbing. Dark. Not sure who the intended audience was.

Cold Mountain: Absolutely hated the MAIN STORY, which was the return of the long-lost-love during the Civil War. Wasn't convinced by either Nicole Kidman's nor Jude Law's "Southern" accents. LOVED, though, absolutely LOVED just about every peripheral character. Donald Sutherland was great as Kidman's minister-father; Philip Seymour Hoffman was fantastic as a completely perverse and proud minister; Renee Zellweger was PHENOMENAL as Kidman's "helper" once the farm starts falling apart. Directed by Anthony Minghella, who has a little too much to say in a few too many places (yes, he's very proud of this picture), it drags on and on. The conditions at home are bleak, and this movie shows it, ad infinitum. The 223 minutes of extras on the second disc meant there was no reason for a feature commentary, but there was one anyway. Still, the second viewing made me enjoy the parts I liked even more; not that the movie was more viewable once I knew what would happen. If you like epics, or character pieces, or are a Civil War buff, then you should like this flick, especially if the price is right, as it always is for me.

Blade Trinity: I picked this up because back in the day, I had in my possession the first two in the series. I admit it, I like comic-book movies; I like vampire stories; Wesley Snipes is not bad in an action flick. What's even better about this one is the "team" that helps Blade: Jessica Biel (from whatever we know her from) and Ryan Reynolds (from "Two Guys and a Girl {and a Pizza Place", at one time}) are KICK ASS HOT! The extras on the DVD talk a lot about their workout regimes to get them into shape for doing their own stunts, which more often than not, they did. There's a 16-part documentary on the second disc, which runs nearly the length of a feature! I want to be that buff; I want to do my own stunts; I want to be cast in an action flick! Oh, and the movie delivers in terms of action, cool toys, nasty vampires and their silly familiars, and general comic-book-style mayhem and destruction.

Gothika: Not a movie I even wanted to see in theaters - too scary, dark, psycho-thriller for me (I thought it was just horror at the time)... REALLY intriguing flick! Halle Berry is great in her "why am I here?" persona; Penelope Cruz is quite creepy in her "you think I'm crazy" role; Robert Downey, Jr. is, well, sigh, you know, hmm, purrrr. Okay, I'm back now; what was I saying? Oh yeah. Very creepy, dark, sinister, edge-of-your-seat movie. Great closure. Minimal extras, only a music video (that actually captures the tone of the movie VERY WELL) and commentary, but the movie's worth seeing a few times.

And now I can see if I'm physically able to ride a bike the vast distance to the library to get these babies returned! The two miles to the Y was a workout even before getting to the Y, and tomorrow I intend to go about five miles (round trip) to church, so we'll see...
emelle

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Planet 51 Reply with quote

Steve and I just bought some previously-viewed DVD's from Blockbuster (current sales are 3/$20 and 5/$20), and now I know how Brett managed to kill his mortgage! He's been composing music for movies and television on the sly all these years, throwing a "Seymour" between his first and middle name to throw us all off the scent! Way to go, James Brett!

Back to the movie: Planet 51 is an INCREDIBLY fun and funny animated "what if WE are the invading aliens" movie that we had seen a trailer for oh, so long ago, and then somehow missed the release for. This movie should have been marketed better, because it would have done really well. The target audience is kids and kids-at-heart; anyone who enjoys the latest generation of animation; anyone who likes sci-fi; anyone who likes to spot the homages (I'll give you JUST ONE - the primary pet dog on the planet looks like a dog version of the alien from the "Alien" series of films but still acts like a pet dog). We enjoyed this movie very much, and as soon as the end credits began to roll, that's when I learned of Brett's secret life as a Hollywood composer.

Since there is no closing cast list (huh?), I'll list primary voices here: Dwayne Johnson ("the Rock") is the astronaut, Gary Oldman is the military leader trying to destroy him, and John Cleese is the professor who wants to study "its" brain. There are three teenage aliens who help the American out, but I can't remember their names.

It didn't do anything in theaters, but it could gain some glory or notoriety if people rent, buy, or borrow from the library, and then spread the word about how much fun it is. I think its biggest hurdles were being produced in Spain and the U.K. - someone dropped the ball on marketing to American audiences. Get a copy - you'll be glad you did!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: