return to LexJB.com talk.LexJB.com
made obsolete by http://Facebook.com/JBMason

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elisabeth Kubler-Ross books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emelle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Elisabeth Kubler-Ross books Reply with quote

I started with On Grief and Grieving, which was very appropriate to have read in the last year. Excellent points made all around, and it was her last book before she died, co-written with a friend who commented at the end about his own loss (of E. K-R.).

Then I read Death is of Vital Importance and On Life After Death, both of which dealt with near-death experiences, I think - they were both interesting and well-written, as I have found most of her books to be, although I don't remember the differences between the two books.

The one I had the most difficulty with was her very first book, On Death and Dying, primarily because it's full of interviews with terminal patients and what the doctors, chaplains, and students took out of those conversations. It was deadly dull and not really appropriate to our situation in the past year... but for some reason I forced myself to read the whole damn thing. She hadn't really solidified her writing style yet (it was her first book, as I said), so whenever I sat down to read it, it put me to sleep. I'm grateful to have finished it, so I could move on to the one I'm reading now, which is:

The Wheel of Life, which is a memoir of her life, and which she expected would be her last book (I haven't finished it but I just started it yesterday, so I'm assuming she wrote it when her final illness first struck). It's told as a series of stories, and I'm finding it a delight to read. I used to only read autobiographies, mostly of celebrity actors, so I guess I'm enjoying this one because it's written in the same style.

I don't know that I "need" to read any more K-R books at this point in my life, because these few I have read seem to have gotten me through the last year pretty well. There are more out there on your library shelves, though, so if you wade through any of these or others, please let us know what you thought of them.
JBMason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night, I accompanied Danielle to a presentation called "Holiday Hope," which discussed how a grieving person can manage a holiday season in times of grief. (This will be Danielle's first Christmas since her Mom died.) We both got packets containing helpful books and pamphlets, including How Will I Get Through the Holidays by James Miller. Anybody want a snail-mail package containing this book? I don't need it.

Speaking of loss, I just noticed that our obituary and guestbook entries are now in cyberstorage and not freely viewable anymore:
http://www.legacy.com/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=19814245
Post new topic   Reply to topic    talk.LexJB.com Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: